FASEB SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
More Information is available in the FASEB Organizational and Candidate Profile.
The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) seeks an experienced association executive, or experienced executive-scientist to serve as its next Executive Director. FASEB is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership society representing 30+ scientific societies with combined memberships of more than 125,000 biological and biomedical sciences scientists. FASEB has an annual operating budget of approximately $21 million, and approximately $5 million in reserves. Its 80 staff are located on an 11-acre campus in Bethesda, Maryland. The position closes April 14, 2017. Apply here.
The Federation is a leader in science policy and advocates for enhanced funding for scientific research, improving the scientific research environment, and providing services to both its member societies and others in the scientific community. It provides association management services and meetings.
Over the past seven months, the Federation has taken advantage of an executive leadership transition to conduct a top-to-bottom review of its strategy, governance, operations, and staffing. FASEB is now ready to use those findings in conjunction with insights from its professional interim executive management team from Transition Management Consulting, Inc. and their interim executive consultant, John Barnes to build upon its strengths and create a strong future for the organization. In late 2016, the FASEB board of directors voted to sell its campus and is currently working with a commercial real estate broker to identify prospective buyers. Further, this envisioned future includes a collaborative and productive business model, greater accountability, enhanced customer service, and passionate, and evidence-based communications to advance FASEB’s mission.
Ideally, the new executive director will have experience in leading a scientific organization, have knowledge of current trends and issues facing life sciences, and understand the legislative process and public policy. She or he will be sufficiently entrepreneurial to identify, evaluate, and seize upon various ideas to move the Federation forward in a changing environment. She or he will work with the board of directors to fulfill the Federation’s mission, support the board of directors, lead staff in the execution of these goals, all the while cultivating myriad relationships with member societies and external partners. The executive must be an excellent communicator and understand the needs of diverse and multidisciplinary audiences. She or he will have excellent strategic and operational skills. The executive will appreciate FASEB’s successful past and the outstanding scientific contributions and educational advances that its member society scientists have achieved through their research and work in their professional organizations.
- 10-15 years of successful executive-level association management experience, ideally in a scientific organization
- Master’s degree or higher is required (PhD or MD is not required)
- Certified Association Executive (CAE) or equivalent is desirable
Desired Skills and Experiences
- Strong nonprofit management experience in either 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(6) institutions
- Knowledge of current trends/issues facing the biological and/or biomedical sciences
- Experience or knowledge of science and/or research processes, current trends and issues facing life sciences, and legislative process, and public policy
- Excellent interpersonal skills exceptionally strong communication skills
- Collaborative decisionmaking
- Experience as an agent of organizational change
- Strong critical thinking and reasoning skills
- Business acumen (strong ability to read and interpret financial statements)
- Technologically adept, including an appreciation for social media
The FASEB Organizational and Candidate Profile contains important information about the position.
Click here to submit materials by April 14, 2017. Send questions to FASEB_SEARCH@TransitionCEO.com. Jackie Eder-Van Hook, PhD is conducting this search. Visit www.faseb.org for more information.
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Open Consulting Positions at TMC
At this time, TMC has no open staff or consulting positions. Thank you for your interest.